HFX TATTOO CO.
General Piercing Aftercare
Body piercings need to be cleaned twice daily, every day, for the entire initial healing period (approximately 6 weeks).
To make your own saline solution, dissolve a 1/4 teaspoon of non-iodized sea salt into one cup (8 oz.) of warm or hot water in a clean cup.
Distilled or bottled water is best. A stronger solution is not better; a saline solution that is too strong can irritate your piercing.
- Before cleanings wash hands thoroughly with liquid antibacterial soap and hot water. Never touch your new piercing without washing your hands first!
- Saline: Soak for 5 to 10 minutes twice a day. Invert a shot glass of warm saline solution over your piercing to form a vacuum. For certain piercings it may be easier to apply using clean gauze or cotton balls saturated with saline solution. Rinse afterward to remove and residue.
- It is not necessary to rotate the jewelry through the piercing.
- Gently pat dry using clean, disposable paper products. Cloth towels can harbour bacteria and snag on jewelry, causing injury.
Please try to be patient! Each body is unique, and healing times can vary.
A piercing may seem healed before the healing process is complete. This is because tissue heals from the outside in, and although it feels fine, the interior remains fragile. Keep cleaning for the entire healing period. If your piercing is tender or secreting you should continue the care regimen, even if it is past the stated average healing time range.
What to avoid during healing:
- Avoid over cleaning. This can delay your healing and irritate your piercing.
- Avoid all oral contact, rough play, and contact with others' bodily fluids on or near your piercing during healing.
- Avoid submerging the piercing in unhygienic bodies of water such as lakes, pools, hot tubs, etc. Or, protect your piercing using a waterproof wound-sealant bandage (such as 3M Nexcare Clean Seals). These are available at most drugstores.
- Avoid all beauty and personal care products on or around the piercing including cosmetics, lotions and sprays, etc.
- Use caution when styling your hair and advise your stylist of a new or healing piercing.
If you have any questions during or after the healing process please do not hesitate to call Claire at 405-7080.